I made the crucial mistake of assuming that i would look exactly like the rowan model once I’d knitted this. I then made the second mistake of assuming that I could easily knit it in a different yarn.
I opted to knit this in Freedom Echo as it is a similar-ish yarn to the Rowan but significantly cheaper, as much as i love Rowan yarn its just a bit too expensive. It does mean I’ve dropped a needle size to get the right tension.
I’ve finished the front and just about finished the back. I’m hoping my cabling neatens out once it is blocked. I have been toying with doing plain sleeves as its taken 4 weeks to get this far!
I’m also not sure i really like the Freedom Echo – its like knitting with string, not nice at all. So I’m also hoping it softens when its washed.
Well, its finished and i did cable the sleeves in the end. I washed it rather than just blocking it and quite a lot of dye came out despite washing it in cold water.
All in all its not a fun pattern to knit and not a nice yarn either for this type of project. Its not a very soft cotton. Despite that the top does looks good with a long top underneath. Even if i don’t look like the Rowan model on the pattern!
If your interested in attempting this pattern, (good luck!) details can be found on raverly http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/donegal-2